Saturday, June 30, 2007

iPhone activation hell

So I waltz in and out of the local Apple store last night with neat little iPhone bag in hand and I'm feeling pretty smug. Pure bliss.

Eighteen hours later (and counting) and some of the bliss has worn off. Like many, during my activation, I am told that my activation will take more time. How long? Doesn't really say, but I will be receiving an e-mail when my phone is ready to be activated. I'm switching my number from TMobile, which scattered reports have fingered as a potential source of trouble. After six calls, I finally got through to an AT&T service rep, who helpfully informs me that somehow my IMEI code was listed incorrectly in their system. Not sure how that can happen since it is supposed to be passed through automatically. Anyway, she re-requested the activation or something so now I'm supposed to wait 24-48 hours before checking in.

What a let down. I haven't used AT&T for cellular service before - I'm feeling like they might be the weak link in the chain.

Update:

So ten minutes after posting yesterday my hoped for email arrived and I was admitted into iPhone-land. The bliss is back. What an amazing product. Groundbreaking. Landmark. The apogee of industrial design for this young century. There are a bunch of ways it could be improved - faster network, IP phone calls, ability to run your own programs, but, all in all, it's the kind of product that makes you wonder how everyone else could have gotten it so wrong for so long. Wow.

No comments: